Thursday, July 11, 2013

Computer Troubles

July 11
Day 4

Hi! Welcome to day four of my internship. Today my computer decided that it really didn't want to do anything. Its memory was very full, which I didn't know. This caused it to become incredibly slow. Apparently the Force does not work on computers. I spent an hour waiting for a few files to open. So now I've got to transfer all of my files to a disk drive. So over all, I didn't really get to do much imaging today. Sigh, technology. Why must you be so temperamental?

I did manage to get some new leaves of the manuscript done today, but most of my time was spent going back and tweaking manuscripts that I did before. I was trying to make them more readable, which is very difficult. The fact that the parchment and the undertext are so close in color is a really big issue. When ever I adjust the hue angle or change the contrast or anything they change together, so it is still really hard to read.

Hopefully tomorrow my computer will cooperate and I'll be able to get more done.

One good thing that happened today was we talked about when the lab imaged the Archimedes Palimpsest. My adviser, Roger Easton worked on the manuscript and its really interesting to hear about it. He has a copy of the book The Archimedes Codex by Reviel Netz and William Noel. Its really interesting. I've been reading it as my computer loads, and so far its really good. I would definitely advise reading it if you are interested in this subject.

I hope to have more to tell you tomorrow.
DFTBA

No comments:

Post a Comment