Tuesday, July 9, 2013

First Day of RIT CIS Internship

July 8
Day 1

Today was the first day of my much anticipated summer internship at RIT CIS. It was very interesting and I had a lot of fun. We started out the day with a meeting getting to know everyone's names and what lb they would be working in. I m working in the Historical Document Restoration lab, which I am really looking forward to. After introductions and some reading through the intern manual we received a challenge for the day. We were split into teams and were given a packet with lots of random pictures from around campus in it. Our challenge was to find as many of the items as we could and make a documentary about it. It was so much fun to run around the college getting help from students and faculty members as we tried to find the most items. After each team created its video we all watched them while being judged by a panel of highly esteemed judges. Though my team (the Green Gophers) did not achieve victory, we got to know each other really well and hopefully now know the campus well enough not to get lost.
      After lunch we split into our lab groups. Also working with me in the Historical Document Restoration lab is Calvin, a high school intern like me, as well as too undergraduates, Liz and Christian. We all work with Roger Easton, who is an expert on this topic. We went over ow to use the software, ENVI, which we would use to image the documents. There are so many cool documents, and the lab has worked on some very interesting manuscripts, from Shakespeare to the Archimedes Palimpsest . I am very excited to learn how to work with this software and help to give more information to scholars who are studying the manuscripts. Hopefully tomorrow I will have my own computer so that I can start working.

No comments:

Post a Comment